- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 4 cups thinly sliced onions
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh garlic
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 8 ounces red tomato sauce, smooth not chunky
- 8 ounces water
- 2 tablespoons corn syrup
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 2 bay leaves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 dash ground cloves
- Saute the onions and the garlic in oil, simmering, about 15 to 20 minutes, until tender, not brown.
- Add the flour and stir and cook at least one minute.
- Add remaining ingredients, cover and simmer 50 minutes.
- If its getting too thick, add a touch more water.
- Remove bay leaves.
- Serve on those next bbq hot dogs, with another slather of mustard on top.
- Yesterday I did make another batch with the cloves added , and I really enjoyed it, so give the cloves a chance if you are not a clove user, it brings out all the flavours of the onions and sweetness and tartness.